Monday 22 November 2010

Apple and almond crumble slice

Described on the BBC website as ‘moderately easy’, I’m not sure I agree. This cake requires 3 separate bakes in the oven with different components added each time. If it tasted amazing at the end it would be worth it, but I’m not sure it did. I think, however, it would be quite a lot easier if you own a food processor. The recipe uses plums, however I used cooking apples, which work just as well.


If you tend to find long recipes boring skip the next two paragraphs…

First put 250g (cold) butter, 225g caster sugar, 300g ground almonds into a bowl and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs (easy in a food processor, but rubbing a pack of butter into sugar and almonds took forever).
Spoon out half of the mixture and set aside.
Next add 140g of plain flour to the mix until it forms a dough. Tip the mixture into a 20x30cm baking tin and press down with the back of a spoon.
Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile put the remaining mix, that was set aside, back into a food processor, or a large mixing bowl if you are me, (saving a little for the topping), and add 2 eggs, 25g plain flour, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1 tsp baking powder.
Mix until it forms a soft batter and spread over the (cooled) base. Top with sliced plums or apples, a little extra sugar and cinnamon and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.
Still with me? …take out of the oven, sprinkle over the little remaining crumble mixture, and 50g flaked almonds. Put back in the oven for another 20 minutes until golden.

After endless mixture and 3 bakes it was ready. I was looking forward to a nice slice of crumble slice. However, it was not to be, a crumbly, sickly mixture met me instead. Although the components would have been nice individually, crunchy base, cake-y middle, soft apples and crumble topping, together they were too rich.

My mum assures me that when the dessert had cooled properly and firmed up it tasted lovely, not nearly as sweet, and all the textures came together well.
Somehow I don’t think I will be having another go at it to see if she was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment