Monday 15 August 2011

I is for... Iced Lemon Biscuits

It's week 9 in Baking the Alphabet, and did you know there aren't many recipes beginning with 'I'? Tiny, little confession: I have made iced lemon biscuits before, and blogged about them here. BUT I have never put soft cheese in biscuits and I was intrigued to see how they would taste. Plus I wanted to try out a recipe from this brand new book Great British Bake Off: How to Bake, it is published by Ebury (where I work) and is beautiful! I didn't quite follow the recipe to the letter so you'd better go and buy the book if you want to...

Iced Lemon Biscuits


Ingredients (to make 20)
80g unsalted butter, softened
50g caster sugar
finely grated zest of ½ lemon (save the juice)
40g light soft cheese
150g gluten-free flour
pinch of salt
pinch baking powder
50g icing sugar


Method
Step 1
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the lemon zest and soft cheese and mix until fully combined. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder. Bring the dough together into a smooth ball and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Step 2
Remove from the fridge and kneed a little before rolling out to a thickness of a £1 coin. Using a biscuit cutter stamp out shapes and transfer to greased baking trays.

Step 3
Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 12-15 mins until lightly golden around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Step 4
Meanwhile make the icing, sift 50g icing sugar into a bowl and mix with about 2 tablespoons of the reserved lemon juice. You want a smooth icing that's not so runny that it will fall straight off the biscuits, but not too thick that it won't spread! Using a teaspoon smooth it over each biscuit.

Verdict
 A foolproof recipe that has a lovely texture thanks to the soft cheese. Add extra lemon rind to the icing if you want a tarter biscuit.

3 comments:

  1. A good tip to other folowers of this blog, give bakes-a-lot-lady some good feedback and she may baker a treat for you and post it to you, it worked for me, but then I am her MUm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have also said the lemon biscuits are very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the biscuits, Mum! Expect lots of baking when I come home :)

    ReplyDelete