Saturday 27 August 2011

J is for... Jumbles

Jumble time! I'd never heard of these biscuits but I really struggled to find any recipes beginning with J! So here you go - Jumbles - the Mary Berry way (sort of). The traditional shape is an 's' but I made them for my family so I used their initials.

Ingredients
75g butter, softened
75g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small egg, beaten
175g plain gluten-free flour
clear honey, for glazing
demerera sugar, for dusting


Method
(1) Cream the butter and sugar together until light and thick. Add in the vanilla and egg, and sift over the flour.
(2) Bring the mixture together with your hands into a ball. Divide it into 16 pieces. Roll out each piece (using your fingertips) to about 10cm long and shape it into the letter of your choice. Put the biscuits on greased baking trays and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
(3) Preheat the oven to 190°C. Bake the biscuits for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove the biscuits from the oven, and turn it up to 220°C. Brush each biscuit with honey and sprinkle with some sugar. Put back in the oven for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has caramelized.
(4) Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Verdict
These didn't work quite as well as I would have liked. The honey wasn't very easy to brush on and some of the biscuits broke. However, I think this was because the brush was a bit rubbish and I rolled the dough out too much. Basically, I'm not inclined to blame the recipe, and if you follow it by using regular flour they should be fine. Just make sure to use a soft brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment