Thursday 23 December 2010

Christmas Cupcakes

For the last few Christmases I have succeeded in stressing myself out making chocolate logs (the weighing scales didn't work, the sponge splits when I rolls it, the chocolate doesn't melt...) so I decided this year I would make stress-free cupcakes!


I assembled Christmas-themed cupcake cases, giant chocolate stars, silver balls and holly. I made several small cupcake mixes using a standard recipe for each (2oz butter, 2oz sugar, 1 egg, 2oz flour and 1 tsp baking powder) and added different flavours.


I made Spiced Cupcakes first. The mixture had cinnamon and ginger in and was spooned into gold cases. I topped it with red cream-cheese frosting and holly leaves.

The second Citrus Cupcakes had lemon zest in the cake mixture and orange juice in a cream-cheese frosting. I sprinkled some hundreds & thousands on top.

The third lot, Vanilla Cupcakes had vanilla extract in the mixture. I gave some a green frosting with giant chocolate stars to decorate, and some a red frosting with silver balls.


The fourth Chocolate Cupcakes are best not spoken about...(I forgot to add the sugar, remembered at the last minute, and then forgot to add baking powder!) they turned out a little flat and have a slightly odd airy texture. They sort of taste ok, just aren't pretty enough to go on my cake stand.

Merry Christmas everyone, look out for more blog posts over Christmas when I have time on my hands to bake!

2 comments:

  1. Very festive! Good job making four different types of cupcakes - how did the first three taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not tried a spiced one yet. The citrus ones were yum and the vanilla ones went down well with my sisters!

    ReplyDelete