Tuesday 25 January 2011

Easy Egg Custard

Those who know me well know that custard is my number 1 favourite food. I will eat it with anything, in anything or on its own.

I've wanted to try making egg custards for a while, but I was under the impression they are very difficult to make. So when I saw what looked to be a simple recipe in a Nigella book I decided to give it a go. Despite internet searches I couldn't find the exact recipe, (a good reason to buy the book!) so I half remembered it and made the rest up as I went along.

Roxanne's Easy Egg Custard

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
  2. Heat 225ml milk, 20g caster sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla essence until almost boiling.
  3. Meanwhile crack an egg into a large bowl (big enough to have the milk poured in) and whisk.
  4. When the milk is almost boiling pour onto the egg, stirring continuously.
  5. Sieve the mixture into 2 greased ramekins (about 8cm diameter), and sprinkle a little nutmeg on top of each.
  6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until set. It's best to let them cool slightly before eating.
This recipe made enough for 2 ramekins.

They tasted yummy, and I was very impressed by how easy they are to make. Definitly one to add to my 'easy dessert' repertoire!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I miss custard so bad! I used to buy cans of it (lazy) and just eat it... the 'light' ones so it was less guilt inspiring...
    I must make these...why doesn't America have more custard? You should try making Creme Brulee!

    ReplyDelete