Monday 31 January 2011

Oatmeal Scotchies

After an American visitor I recently acquired some 'Butterscotch Morsels'. They look like chocolate chips and taste like sweet caramel. This recipe was on the back of the packet and I decided to give it a go.
I altered the recipe slightly to suit the ingredients I had in my cupboard, but I'll give you the 'official' recipe.

Ingredients

1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange
3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 ⅔ cups (11-oz. pkg.) butterscotch chips

PREHEAT oven to 375°F.
COMBINE flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies; 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.


I made a half mixture, and even that made too much (the mixture freezes well, so is waiting for another day). I used a mixture of rye and self-raising flour instead of all-purpose, and used the cinnamon and vanilla to flavour.
I made the chewy version, cooking them for 7-8 minutes. They worked really well, they are very sweet so I probably would put a little less sugar in the next batch. If you would like the UK measurements, drop me a line and I will send them to you.

Now I'm off for a strong cup of British tea and an American cookie. Bridging the gaps between geography.

6 comments:

  1. There's some more mix in the freezer, I'll cook it up when you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quick work! Might have to make some myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fast! You're right, they are very sweet. Good move on cutting back on the sugar next time.

    My favoritest cookie evar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound very yummy - hope you enjoyed them! Super fast work!

    ReplyDelete