Thursday 3 February 2011

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread

As a kid whenever I visited my Grandma I would always get 'fed up'. Not bored, you understand, but fed until you were full. As if that wasn't enough, my Grandma would always give out a big box of home-made chocolate caramel shortbread to take home.

Sadly my Grandma passed away last month, and so today, on what would have been her 98th birthday I made my own batch of this treat.

You make it in three stages, first you make a shortbread base, followed by a layer of caramel and then a layer of chocolate.

To make the base:
Measure 125g plain flour (I used rye for a bit of added texture) and 40g caster sugar into a bowl. Add 100g softened butter and rub in until it resembles breadcrumbs. Bring the mixture together into a ball, and then press it into a greased baking tray, ideally one with straight edges. Prick all over with a fork.


Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180°C. Take the shortbread out of the oven when it is very lightly browned and firmed.

To make the caramel:
Empty one tin (400g) condensed milk into a pan, add 50g butter and 50g brown sugar. Heat slowly until the sugar and butter have melted. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until the mixture has thickened, for about five minutes.
Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and leave to cool.


To finish:
Melt 100g of milk or dark chocolate. Pour over the caramel and put into the fridge to set. 


To serve:
Once it is set cut into squares and lift from the tin.


My verdict:
It was the first time that I have made this, and it wasn't as difficult as I thought. It was nice, the rye flour takes off a little of the sweetness of the caramel which I like. Not a patch on my Grandma's though.

5 comments:

  1. This was always my favourite from Grandma's cake stand. Had to make sure I grabbed a piece before everyone else got to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love caramel shortbread! I made some when I was out in California and I think it won me some fans!
    I posted about mine here:
    http://baking-in-brooklyn.blogspot.com/search/label/millionaire%27s%20shortbread
    I want to try some of yours tho. Hope you are doing ok! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yours looks yummy Jess. That should have been our bake-off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss your baking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come round to 'mine' and I'll cook you a treat ;-)

    ReplyDelete