Thursday 3 March 2011

A Week of Cake - DAY 4 - Roxanne's Nutty Chocolate Cake

This cake came about from an unfortunate green banana situation where I had measured out the dry ingredients for a banana cake, and then discovered my bananas were too green to use! A quick brainstorm later and I came up with this nutty cake. I used this cake to get one of my 5-a-day, and luckily I get all of my vegetables free from Ripple Farm Organics, you can check out their new recipe blog here.

Roxanne's Nutty Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
4oz rye flour
4oz white self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 heaped tbsp Green & Black cocoa
4oz caster sugar
3oz butter, melted
4fl oz buttermilk
5oz grated squash (preferably Butternut, but I used Hokkaido which worked fine)
2 eggs, beaten
1oz hazelnuts, chopped

Method
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa and sugar until a large bowl.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted butter and buttermilk, mix well.
3. Add the grated squash, eggs and hazelnuts, mix until well combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into a greased 8in round tin, and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until well risen
Note: you can check whether a skewer comes out clean, but don't worry if it is not completely clean as the squash makes the cake moist, and it will firm up when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment