Wednesday 2 March 2011

A Week of Cake - DAY 3 - Nutty Apple Loaf Cake

Day 3 and I'm getting into the swing of this cake eating. I still gaze mournfully at my fruit bowl as I walk past, but I must soldier on and eat cake and more cake!

At a recent family gathering my aunt (of guest post My Aunt's Peanut Butter Cookies fame) brought along an apple and peanut butter chip cake that tasted delicious, I decided to do what she had done and make a recipe up.

Roxanne's Nutty Apple Loaf Cake


Ingredients
4oz caster sugar
4oz butter, softened
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 eggs, beaten
3oz wholemeal flour
2oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g peanut butter chips (I used Reese's)


Method
1. Cream together the caster sugar and butter until light and creamy.
2. Add the grated apple and eggs and mix well.
3. Sift in the flours and baking powder and stir until combined (you can use any combination of flour for this cake, although I would recommend using a small amount of white, rather than just wholemeal. Ensure if you use plain flour you add enough baking powder to compensate - about 1 tsp for every 4oz).
4. Stir in the peanut butter chips (if you can't get hold of peanut butter chips, add 100g chopped peanuts and an extra ½oz of sugar, or 2 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter).
5. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 180°C, or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.

NB. This cake can be frozen, but make sure you defrost it thoroughly before eating! (Do not defrost in a microwave unless you want a soggy cake...) 

This is my favourite recipe of cake week so far, so thank you very much Pixie Mama for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment