Tuesday 1 March 2011

A Week of Cake - DAY 2 - Chilli and Feta Cake

After a small meltdown last night when I wondered what on earth I was doing, I was slightly dreading breakfast this morning. However, after a tasty blueberry muffin and a small Welsh cake (they taste better, and don't fall apart when cooled) I was ready to start the day. 

One of the things that has kept me going so far is a feta cheese and chilli cake which I adapted from a savoury cake on the BBC Good Food website.

Chilli and Feta Cake



Ingredients
200g white flour (I used gluten-free as the original recipe suggests, but any plain flour would be fine)
1 tsp salt
3 level tsp baking powder
300ml buttermilk or milk with a squeeze of lemon juice (I used about 100ml buttermilk with 200ml semi-skimmed milk and 1 squeeze of lemon juice)
3 eggs
1 tbsp tomato pureé
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
100g feta cheese, chopped into cubes
50g mixed seeds


Step 1
Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk or milk and lemon juice, eggs, tomato pureé, chilli and oil.

Step 2
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and stir in the feta cheese.

Step 3
Spoon the mixture into a large loaf tin (900g works best, but don't worry too much). Sprinkle with the mixed seeds.

Step 4
Bake on the bottom shelf in a 200°C preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Step 5
Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Once completely cool it can be sliced and eaten on its own, or with a spread of butter. After a couple of days, when it starts to lose its freshness, grill and spread with butter or soft cheese.



 I had 2 slices, plain for my lunch.









No comments:

Post a Comment