Friday 2 September 2011

Apple Spiced Nut Cookies

My mum discovered this recipe when she was searching for sugar-free recipes she could bake for me. The original recipe uses dates which I can't eat, although recommends using stevia in its place. The recipe comes from a blog called Kat's Health Corner, it's a great blog full of alternative recipes - and so perfect for me! I based my recipe on the one here.



Ingredients (makes 7)
¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup mixed nuts (use almonds, pecans or even more walnuts)
⅓ cup porridge oats
½ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 packets stevia (equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar)
1 eating apple
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sunflower spread


Method
(1) Using a food processor blitz the walnuts, mixed nuts and oats until fine.Transfer to a bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients (baking powder, salt, spices and stevia). Mix together.

(2) Peel and core the apple, chop into chunks and blitz in the food processor, add to the dry mixture along with the vanilla and sunflower spread.

(3) Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper. Using about a teaspoon of mixture shape into balls and flatten between the palms of your hands before putting spaced apart on the baking tray.

(4) Bake in a 190°C oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the fridge and eat within a couple of days.

Verdict
For a dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, egg-free cookie these are pretty darn tasty! They're never going to taste like a full-fat, sugar-filled chocolate-chip cookie - but that's the beauty of them. A delicious chewy cookie without the sugar or excessive fat, but with protein and fruit. Will be making these again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you like them! :D They are one of my favorites. :) If you want it a little sweetener, I would try adding another pack of stevia. I LOVE YOUR BLOG! :)

    ReplyDelete