Friday 16 September 2011

M is for... Macaroons

My Baking the Alphabet challenge continues. These little coconut macaroons went perfectly with the stewed rhubarb I made for my Sunday roast dessert, and could be cooked at the same temperature as the lamb. I've made regular macaroons before – here. This time I went for a low-carb version, they are simple to make, sugar-free and tasty!

Ingredients
2 egg whites
a pinch of salt
55g (2oz) ground almonds
55g (2oz) unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
½ sachet stevia


Method
Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks
Fold in the ground almonds, coconut, vanilla extract, almond extract (if using) and stevia. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2



Place spoonfuls of the mixture (a little bigger than a teaspoon) on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden-brown, crunchy on the outside and gooey within
Transfer to a wire rack to cool
They taste great served with rhubarb, or on their own with a cup of tea
The recipes is adapted from Rose Elliot's 'Crunchy Coconut Biscuits'.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't think stevia had been appproved in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hasn't yet - it remains illegal to sell it in the UK, however you are allowed to import it from the US where it is very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah cool :) I'd seen it used in American recipes before.
    All your recipes look great by the way, I'm still yet to make any though!

    ReplyDelete