Thursday 8 September 2011

L is for... Lemon Scones

Challenge time! This week's letter is 'L'. I wanted to make something lemony and settled on scones as they aren't very sweet usually so I thought omitting the sugar wouldn't matter too much. I based my lemon scones on a recipe from 'Be-Ro Home Recipes' a recipe guide from the 1920s! Scroll down to the end of the blog to see the original recipe book.


Lemon Scones
4oz plain gluten-free flour
4oz wholemeal rye flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
1½oz butter
1 packet Stevia (equivalent to 2 teaspoons of sugar)
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons of milk



Method
Stir together the flours and baking powder.

Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the stevia and lemon rind.

Add the egg and milk and bring together the mixture into a soft dough.

Roll out to about ½-inch thick and using a 2½-inch biscuit cutter stamp out rounds,  (I made 15).

Put the rounds on greased baking trays and brush each with a little milk. Bake in a 180°C preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden. 
Transfer to a wire rake to cool.
Serve
Eat warm - straight from the oven or toasted. Spread with butter or lemon curd.

Verdict
Sadly my scones didn't rise. I'm not sure whether it was the rye flour or if I over-kneaded the dough. They do taste nice though, the lemon gives a really nice flavour. I'm going to try with regular white flour next time and see if that works.


My Grandad sent me the 'Be-Ro Home Recipes' cookbook. It belonged to my great grandma and was originally published in the 1920s. Although old-fashioned in style the recipes remain relevant and useful today. Here is the scones recipe I based mine on.

BE-RO Rich Scones

8-ozs BE-RO FLOUR.
Half Teaspoonful SALT.
1½ozs. LARD.
One Tablespoonful SUGAR.
MILK (to make a soft dough).
Two Tablespoonfuls CURRANTS (or, as a change, SULTANAS).
One EGG (Beat, and put aside a tablespoonful for the tops).

Mix the Flour and Salt in a basin, and rub in the Lard with the finger tips. Mix in the Sugar and Currants. Then stir in with a knife the beaten Egg and sufficient Milk to make a soft dough. (Handle lightly, do not over-knead). Roll out to the thickness of about half an inch, and cut in rounds with a scone cutter (2½-inch cutter should make 14 scones). Places on a greased baking sheet, and brush over tops with beaten Egg. BAKE IN A HOT OVEN about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment