Thursday 15 September 2011

Sunday Roast - The Desserts

The final post in my Sunday Roast special. I made two desserts for 'afters'. I chose quick and easy desserts so that I could concentrate on the roasts.
Firstly, Stewed Rhubarb with Cream, which I served with coconut macaroons
And the second, my mum's one-pan cake. The quickest and easiest chocolate cake you can make!


















Stewed Rhubarb with Cream
Ingredients
150g rhubarb, cut into chunks
⅓ cup water
sugar or sweetener, to taste

Method
Add the rhubarb and water to a pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer (with a lid on) until the rhubarb has broken down into mush. Sweeten to taste.

Serve
Serve hot with cream and a coconut macaroon (recipe to come!)


My Mum's One-Pan Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
4oz butter
4oz sugar
2 level desertspoons cocoa
4oz plain flour (I used 2oz white spelt and 2oz wholemeal rye)
2 eggs, beaten
1½ teaspoons baking powder
2 level desertspoons natural yoghurt

Method
Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. When melted remove from the heat and mix in the sugar. Add the cocoa, baking powder and half the flour. Then half the eggs. Finally the rest of the flour, rest of the eggs and the yoghurt. Mix until all combined.
Spoon the mixture into a greased baking tin or dish and bake at 180°C/gas 4 for 20-30 minutes, until springy and a skewer comes out clean.

Serve
Serve the cake warm directly from the baking dish. You can of course mix and match, and have chocolate cake with stewed rhubarb!

No comments:

Post a Comment