Sunday 26 June 2011

B is for... Bourbons

So it's week 2 of my Baking the Alphabet challenge, after my success with custard creams I decided to try my hand at bourbons. They are a little time consuming to make, but it's totally worth it!


You will need: (to make 16)
50g butter
50g caster sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
110g plain flour (I used gluten-free strong white bread flour, but use normal plain flour if you have it)
15g cocoa (Green & Black's is best)
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
for the filling:
40g icing sugar
25g butter
½ tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon milk


Step 1
Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3. Cream the butter and sugar together and then beat in the syrup. Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarb into the creamed mixture to make a stiff paste. 


Step 2
Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead well. Roll out to about ½cm thick and cut into equal rectangular pieces (or use cutters to make whatever shapes you like). Place the biscuits on greased baking trays and bake for 15-20 minutes.


Step 3
Cool on a wire rack. Meanwhile to make the filling, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, beat in the butter, and add the cocoa and milk. Beat until smooth and use to sandwich the fingers together.


I used the recipe here as a guide. I think these bourbons were quite remarkable in how much they were like shop-bought ones. Definitely one I will be making again!

A rare picture of Bakes-a-lot-lady in action

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Bourbon's are probably my favourite biscuit. One question: when baking them is the glass of wine required for them to come out right....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wine certainly helps the process...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds delish!! but how long did u bake them for??

    ReplyDelete