Wednesday 22 June 2011

Potato and Lemon Drizzle Cake

It was my sister's birthday last weekend, and I cooked up a delicious chocolate cake, unfortunately it didn't cook properly, so my mum had to make a second one, but the less said about that the better. I, meanwhile, was living a gluten-free nightmare. Jelly babies and chocolate buttons on her cake were calling to me. There was only one thing for it, I made a rival cake.
Unfortuntely I didn't have any flour, after a bit of web searching I came across a gluten-free lemon drizzle cake, and its secret ingredient? MASHED POTATO!!


Here's how I made it:

Boil 65g potato until it is soft enough to stick a knife in, and mash it up to as smooth a consistency as you can, leave to cool. Beat 50g softened butter with 50g sugar until light and creamy. Add 1 egg. Fold in 65g ground almonds, the mashed potato, 2 tsp lemon extract and ½ tsp baking powder. Spoon into a greased and lined square baking tin (I think mine was about 5 x 5 inches) and put into a 180°C/gas 4 preheated oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, until it is golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
While the cake is still warm mix a few drops of lemon juice with some icing sugar, spoon over the cake and let it soak in. If you make runny icing keep spooning it back over until it stops dripping. Add some sprinkles for birthday glamour.

And the verdict...you couldn't taste the mashed potato and it had a lovely moist, light consistency. Chocolate cake schmocolate cake.




Find the original recipe here, that serves more people and uses real lemons (which I didn't have).

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate cake can sometimes be like that I find! Very frustrating isn't it?
    The lemon cake looks lovely though and I really would never have thought to put mash potato in it, might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, completely! My mum saved the day and turned them into 'brownie bites' so they weren't wasted at least! It does sound odd, but such a light texture.

    ReplyDelete