Sunday 12 June 2011

That time when it all went wrong

If you're a regular reader of my blog you can be forgiven for thinking I'm a bit of a baking genius, all of my recipes are perfect and I regularly produce works of art that look like this... 


But actually I didn't make that, and there are times when things go very wrong.


Today I decided to make a Roasted tomato, basil and Parmesan quiche (see photo above) as I had bought some gluten-free pastry. I've never bought ready-made pastry before so the whole experience was a little new to me. The package instructions said to defrost in the fridge, but I wanted to use it straight away so I thought it can't hurt to stick it in the microwave to defrost right? Wrong. I cooked it in the microwave. This meant that it crumbled when I tried to roll it. 



I know what you're thinking, probably best to throw it away and start again? Noooo. Why do that when you can add a bit of milk to help the pastry stick together and make small cupcake-sized quiches, instead of a full-sized one...I followed the recipe for a bit, roasted some tomatoes, mixed up egg with milk (technically should have been cream) and basil. I couldn't bake the pastry blind as I didn't have any baking beans, but how necessary is that anyway?
As I'd made small quiches the pastry was thicker than it should have been and therefore I was left with too much tomatoes and filling. So I ate the tomatoes and made a couple of pastry-less 'quiches'


And here's the result - one perfect little quiche


And a few dodgy-looking ones...

3 comments:

  1. They still look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Andrew on this one. So, how did they taste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They actually tasted good, the pastry was nice and buttery (which obviously I can't take credit for..). But the roast tomatoes and Parmesan made for a tasty little quiche :)

    ReplyDelete