Friday 3 June 2011

Gingernuts

I recently had a sudden craving to bake gingernuts, I wasn't sure why and then it hit me, they were featured in one of the guest posts, check it out here.
Try as I might I couldn't find a recipe for gingernut biscuits that used fresh ginger. I have the whole Jamie Oliver collection, no gingernuts there (although he uses shop bought ones in one of his recipes). Any other recipe I came across were full of golden syrup which I didn't have.
So I made up this recipe, using fresh ginger and ingredients that I found in my cupboards!


Ingredients (to make 12 small biscuits)
50g/2oz butter, softened
25g/1oz soft dark brown sugar
20g/¾oz (about 2 tsp) molasses
25g/1oz cashews, finely chopped (or any kind you have)
thumb-sized piece of ginger (about ½ inch across), peeled and finely chopped
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground ginger
75g/3oz wholemeal rye flour


Step 1
Put the butter, sugar and molasses into a large bowl, give it a good stir until you have a smooth mixture. Add the chopped nuts and ginger, mix well.
Step 2
Sieve in the baking powder, ground ginger and flour. Bring the mixture together into a soft but not sticky ball. You may need to use your hands. Tip: If the mixture is too sticky add a little more flour, or if it is not coming together add a splash of milk.
Step 3
Divide the mixture into 12 pieces and roll into balls. Place spread apart on a greased baking tray and press down gently with a fork.
Step 4
Bake in the oven at gas mark 4 for 10-12 minutes until the biscuits are firm to the touch (they will firm up more when cooled so they don't need to be hard). Leave to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


Per biscuit: calories 66, fat 4.5g (of which saturates 2.2g).

If you like your gingernuts crunchy, (and you still have all of your own teeth) leave them in the oven for an extra couple of minutes. My big tip here though...make double mixture as they will be gone before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment