Saturday 11 June 2011

Lovely Lemon Pud

Despite owning all twelve of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks I rarely cook from them. I'm not sure why, perhaps the sheer volume of them overwhelms me. My friend Sophie made this for me a while ago and it was so tasty and didn't look overly complicated. I had a friend round for dinner so after serving up home-made pizza and home-made chips I cracked out this lemon pud!


To serve 2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Cream together 1oz butter with 2oz sugar, and stir in the grated rind of ½ lemon. Separate 1 egg, add the yolk to the butter mixture and put the white in a separate bowl and set aside. Add 1oz self raising flour and beat in, then add ¼ pint milk and 1½ tbsp lemon juice, mix until combined. In the separate bowl whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and then slowly fold in the butter mixture. Don't over mix as you willl lose the lightness of the egg whites. Pour the mixture into a buttered ovenproof dish, stand in a roasting dish half-full (never half-empty!) of water and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the top is set and spongy and it's a nice golden colour. Carefully remove the bowl from the roasting dish, don't forget the water is boiling hot (like I did...).
Serve as it is, a lovely mixture of fluffy lemon cake with a custardy sauce.

The original recipe 'Lovely lemon curdy pud' serves 4 and is from Happy Days with the Naked Chef.

The home-made pizza and chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment