Tuesday 5 July 2011

Banana Bread

I wanted to make a high-energy snack and settled on banana bread which I haven't made in ages. I found an old recipe, reduced the sugar quantity, used gluten-free flour and added some nuts. Banana bread is a great mid-morning snack, it has all the sweetness of a cake but with fruit and nuts for maximum health benefits.


Ingredients
125g butter, softened
125g soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
250g gluten-free, plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125ml milk
3 bananas, mashed
50g Brazil nuts, chopped


Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 5.
Grease a standard size loaf tin.
Beat the butter and sugar together.
Add the eggs slowly.
Fold in half the flour (mixed with the baking powder), then half the milk.
Fold in the remaining flour and milk.
Fold in the mashed bananas and nuts.
Stir until all combined, and tip into the greased tin.
Bake for 45-55 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin for five minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

This recipe is seriously simple, forget the method above - bung all of the ingredients in a bowl, give it a good mix and shove in the oven - and I'm pretty sure you would get the same result. If you want to make it slightly naughty add some chocolate chips, or even peanut butter. Regular wheat flour is fine.

3 comments:

  1. I love Banana bread - as you say it is very scrummy with added chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your banana bread looks super moist. I bet that loaf didn't last long in your house. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa - thanks! I think I was too late to link up, but let me know if you want to link in future.

    ReplyDelete