Sunday 31 July 2011

Blueberry and Lemon Baked Cheesecake

The Great British/American Bake Off: Part 2
It's been a while since my last bake-off with Jess from Baking in Brooklyn, and so here we are back with part 2. The theme this time is...JAM. You can find Jess's rival Jam post HERE.

Now I was all set to roll out some jam tarts or a jam rolly-polly, when Jess let slip that she's going to make the jam first. As my friends will vouch I am a teeny bit competitive (I did nearly break my arm in a tense game of rounders when my competitive streak won out...) So I decided to rise to the challenge! I made Blueberry Jam, check out the recipe HERE.

Today the second part of the bake-off commenced. What to make with the jam? I opted for cheesecake, which I adapted from a Rose Eliot recipe for Baked Lemon Cheesecake.

Blueberry and Lemon Baked Cheesecake


Ingredients
100g ground almonds
15g butter, softened
400g soft cheese (2 tubs)
2 eggs
150ml double cream
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 tbsp Roxanne's Blueberry Jam


Method
(1) Mix the almonds and butter together to form a dough (you may need to bring it together with your hands). Using a 20cm loose-bottomed tin press the base down. Evenly spread it with the back of a spoon.

(2) Bake in a preheated 220°c/gas 7 oven for about 10 minutes until lightly golden and crisp.

(3) Meanwhile beat the cream cheese until smooth, add the eggs, double cream and lemon rind. Whisk together until smooth.

(4) Evenly spread the jam over the biscuit base.

(5) Pour over the filling, and return to a cooler 180°c/gas 4 oven. Bake for about 35 minutes until set.

(6) Leave to cool and then refrigerate before cutting into slices.

Verdict
Who'd of thought it - a sugar-less cheesecake. A crunchy, buttery biscuit base, fruity jam and a light filling. It tastes pretty good too!


3 comments:

  1. I love that we both made sugar free jam! 2 peas in a sugarless pod.
    This looks pretty tasty, I love the idea of an almond base! I think you need to visit and cook for me.
    At the very least, when we go to Hawaii, we should stay somewhere that has a kitchen.
    Hawaii based bake offs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - great minds! I'm v jealous of your Stevia. The almond base was really nice, if you did it with flour the sweetness would be really missing, but almonds just seem to work.
    Yes, let's cook in Hawaii! Or shall we just move there and open a cake shop?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cheesecake Roxanne, it was delish! I really liked the buttery biscuit base http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk xx

    ReplyDelete