Sunday 31 July 2011

Blueberry Jam


My homemade blueberry jam
I'm not a fan of excessive sugar in cooking and the idea of putting the same amount of sugar as fruit in jam is just ridiculous! After a lot of internet research and a look through my cookbooks I turned to my new favourite book The SuperJam Cookbook. I adapted my recipe from one in there, where it advised using white grape juice in place of sugar.


Roxanne's Blueberry Jam

Ingredients
1 litre purple grape juice
400g blueberries
2 tbsp lemon juice

Method
(1) Boil the grape juice until it reduces to about one quarter of the original. (It is crucial that is reduces by this much, I took mine off too soon and ended up faffing about straining the blueberries so I could boil it further - so be patient).

(2) While the grape juice is bubbling away cook the blueberries and lemon juice in a large saucepan (big enough to hold the grape juice too). Once the blueberries have cooked for a while give them a mash to break them up a bit.

(3) When the grape juice has reduced add it to the blueberries and bring to the boil. Continue to cook until it thickens. (Because of my faffing I can't give an extact timing for this - so use your instinct!)

(4) Spoon the jam into a sterilized jar (you are supposed to do this by putting jars into the oven and such jazz, but I just gave mine a thorough wash, then filled with boiling hot water and shook it up. Warning this makes the jar very hot...)

Verdict
I thought it had all gone wrong when the jam wouldn't thicken (because I didn't cook my grape juice for long enough). But...against the odds it set. And tasted good! You don't miss the sugar at all, as the grape juice gives it enough sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment