Saturday 23 July 2011

Banana Pudding Cake

I was all set to make a plum cake for dessert yesterday when I remembered I can't eat plums. Or apples, or pears, or any of the fruit in the fruit bowl (it's a long story). I did have a banana though so decided to experiment with that. I made a plum cake for everyone else, it had halved plums cut side down on the bottom and sponge mixture on top. I'm told it tasted nice...

For myself, meanwhile, I made a kind-of upside-down banana cake/pudding thing!


Ingredients (to generously serve 2)
2oz butter, softened
1½oz sugar
1 egg
2oz gluten-free flour (or regular)
1 tsp baking powder
1 small banana, sliced

Method
Step 1
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add the egg, flour and baking powder and beat until all combined.

Step 2
Grease a small cake tin or ovenproof dish. Arrange the banana slices on the bottom and then top with the cake mixture.

Step 3
Bake in a gas 5 oven for about 20-30 minutes until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.
Eat hot, with custard or cream.


The verdict
I ate mine hot with custard (obviously) and it was very tasty. It's a step away from normal fruity puddings, but if you like bananas and custard you'll love this!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, finally I've found a blog with nice simple gluten free things to bake!! (I saw your guest post on Polly's Pixie Mama blog).
    I also can't eat apples, pears, plums etc while raw, but I'm usually ok if they're cooked. My doctor thought I was weird when I was younger, I've since found out it's pollen-food syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so gorgeous, my mouth is watering. I'm planning on starting you ABC of baking soon - even though i'm on a diet!

    And i'm another one who was guided to your blog by Pixie Mama too!

    ReplyDelete