Sunday 24 July 2011

Treacle Tarts

And for my 100th post...Treacle Tarts! Surely everyone loves a treacle tart, crumbly pastry with a sweet, textured centred. Perfect with a cup of tea or for an after dinner treat.

Ingredients
200g shortcrust pastry (see below for recipe or cheat with shop-bought)
125g golden syrup
grated rind of ½ lemon
2 tsp lemon juice
40g breadcrumbs (1 small slice)

Method
(1) Roll out the pastry to about 1cm thick and using a 7cm flutted cutter cut out 10-12 circles. Transfer each one to a cake tin.

(2) Put the golden syrup, lemon juice and zest and breadcrumbs into a bowl. Mix until well combined.

(3) Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases. Roll out any leftover pastry and using a small heart cutter make a heart to put on the top of each, (I got that idea from here).

(4) Bake in the oven at 190°C/gas 5 for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve cooled with cream or ice cream.

My tarts were gluten-free as I used gluten-free pastry and bread, but normal wheat flour works just as well.

These went down a treat, child and grandma alike tucked in and loved them.


Truth time...my mum made the pastry for this recipe (I can make pastry though, honestly...I made it for my Bakewell Tart). She made quiches for dinner the day before, and so I used the leftovers. Here's her recipe:
Sift 250g/8oz flour into a bowl, cut 125g/4oz cold butter into cubes and rub in until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 1 egg and mix until it all combines. If the mixture is a little dry add some cold water. Bring together until a ball, wrap in cling-film and chill in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. WOW this looks yummy!!! thanks for posting! I should try it sometimes... my bf would love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best treacle tarts ever!

    ReplyDelete