Monday 11 July 2011

D is for... Digestive Biscuits

Week 4 of my 'Baking the Alphabet' was a tricky one. I was distinctively uninspired by the letter 'D'. I made Digestives as I'd not done them before and I wanted to see if I could be the next McVitie. Turns out probably not, the biscuits were nice, and could be eaten sweet or savoury as normal digestives, but they lacked a certain something...I'm inclined to blame the lack of wholemeal flour (I didn't have a gluten-free version), so if anyone makes them with wholemeal flour let me know how they taste!



Ingredients (makes 14)
100g gluten-free flour (if you can use 75g wholemeal flour/25g plain)
25g porridge oats
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp caster sugar
50g butter
2 tbsp milk


Step 1
Preheat oven to 180°c/gas 4 and grease a baking tray. Mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and sugars in a bowl. Rub the butter in.


Step 2
Add the milk, and bring the mixture together to a soft, pliable dough. Add a little more milk if it doesn't come together, or a little more flour if it is too sticky.


Step 3
Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 5mm thick. Stamp out circles using a 6cm round cutter. Transfer to the baking tray.


Step 4
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are lightly golden around the edge. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Despite the fact that these biscuits didn't taste like proper digestives they did have a nice texture and went superbly well with a cup of tea!
You can find the original recipe here.

1 comment:

  1. I do think McVities have a certain something - but your digestives sound good too - look good too!

    ReplyDelete