Friday 27 May 2011

Brown 'N Serve Rolls


Today's guest post comes all the way from Idaho and from my Great Aunt Kathy (she's my aunt's mother, but pretty great too!) Kathy has been making these rolls for 40 years, so it's safe to say this recipe is tried and tested. 


BROWN 'N SERVE ROLLS

My mother gave me a Betty Crocker Cookbook when I got married 41 years ago. I didn't know much about cooking or baking so only made dishes that had a photo and I would follow the recipe exactly. Eventually I wanted to try making bread and there were good instructions and photos and I found I really liked making it. After many years of baking I now am willing to alter a recipe. This recipe is adapted from that Betty Crocker Cookbook.



1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoon)
¾ cup warm water (105-115°F )
¾ cup lukewarm milk
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
¼ cup oil
2 cups white flour
2¼ cups whole wheat flour




Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, oil, and the 2 cups white flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in the 2¼ cups whole wheat flour. The dough should be soft.




Knead on a lightly floured board or cloth until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  
 Place in a greased bowl; turn greased side up. If you live in a dry climate like I do you may want to add a little grease/oil to the the top of the dough.  Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1½ hours. Tip: Setting a pan of hot water in an oven with the oven light on makes for the perfect warm place to let the dough rise.


Punch down dough; turn onto lightly floured board or cloth and divide into 24 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place in greased muffin cups or about 3-inches apart on greased baking sheet. (I now use silicon muffin pans that don't require greasing).  Cover; let rise until almost double, about 45 minutes. 





Heat oven to 275°F. Bake 20 to 30 minutes (do not allow rolls to brown).  Remove from pans and cool at room temperature.


Place rolls in plastic bags or wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Store in refrigerator several days or freeze. At serving time, brown rolls in 400°F oven 5 to 8 minutes or until brown.




Thanks very much Kathy! I love the sound of these. It always looks very impressive to bring out a batch of freshly-baked bread when you've got friends round. That recipe book looks like a classic too

No comments:

Post a Comment