Sunday 22 May 2011

Mexican Courgettes

A savoury recipe for Sunday...after rooting through my fridge I found a courgette and some Buffalo cheese that I picked up at a farmers’ market yesterday, it has garlic mixed in and has the consistency of feta.
I decided to try this recipe as it looked a bit different, I love most Mexican things and it used up my ingredients. The original recipe served 6 and as inviting 5 friends round for dinner at the last minute wasn’t going to happen I adapted it, and added a couple of extra ingredients – if you want to see the actual recipe, buy the book here.  

Mexican Courgettes


Ingredients
1 courgette (about 150g)
50g frozen sweetcorn kernels (fresh is also fine, but you may want to steam them first)
1 egg white
1 teaspoon skimmed milk
30g buffalo cheese with garlic (or feta equivalent)

Step 1
Halve your courgette and carefully scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1cm of  shell (the original recipe doesn’t use the flesh, but I don’t waste good vegetables, so don’t discard). Turn  upside down for about an hour.

Step 2
Wipe the insides of the courgette with kitchen towel to remove excess moisture, and put into a shallow ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.

Step 3
Blend the courgette flesh, sweetcorn kernels, egg white, milk and some salt and pepper to a coarse consistency using a hand blender or food processor. Add 20g of the feta and spoon the mixture into the courgette shells.

Step 4
Scatter over the remaining feta. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the courgettes are tender and the tops lightly browned.

To serve:
Serve with new potatoes or crusty bread, and a summer salad or steamed spinach. I opted for a summer salad made of baby spinach, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and spring onions.


Verdict: 
These were delicious, an omelette texture inside the courgette which went perfectly with the cheese. Definitely one to try again, and they are low in fat and healthy, win-win...

Nutritional information (as best as I can work it out)
Calories: 170; Fat: 10g; Carbohydrates: 12g; Protein: 13g.

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner last night but left out the sweetcorn and added fried mushrooms and red onion instead. I put them in after blending everything else together as I didn't want them smushed up. Then I popped a few cubes of gooey Camembert on top before baking... It was delicious! My bfs on a wheat-free diet at the mo so this'll be on the dinner menu soon I'm sure. Served with a few cherry tomatoes and was perfectly full up afterwards. Great idea! Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you made this recipe Ellie! That's a great idea to use mushrooms instead of sweetcorn, I'll definitely try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete