Tuesday 24 May 2011

Theresa’s Cheese Souffle

Day 2 in my week of guest posts comes from my 7-year-old sister Theresa. It’s a savoury recipe for today, and I am very jealous I wasn’t there when she made it as it looks so yummy! I’m promised there will be a soufflé cooked for me next time I’m home...

Theresa’s Cheese Soufflé


You will need: (to serve 4)
40g butter
40g plain flour
300ml/½ pint milk
100g cheese
3 large or 4 small eggs
fresh herbs


First, we collected the eggs


Then my mummy made a cheese sauce by melting the butter, mixing in the flour and cooking for 30 seconds, then gradually adding the milk over the heat, stirring all the time, until the sauce was smooth and had thickened a bit.


I cut up the fresh chives with the kitchen scissors, but this was tricky so my mummy helped.
My mummy cracked and separated the eggs. I beat the egg yolks and added them to the cheese sauce. Then I stirred in the chives and grated cheese (we used Cheddar and Red Leicester, but you could try your favourite cheese).

My mummy started to whisk the egg whites with a hand whisk and I finished off until they looked like snow.


Then my mummy folded the whites carefully into the sauce mix and poured it all into a greased dish, (we used a large dish but you could use 4 small ramekins).



Cook in the oven at 220°c/gas 7 for about 20 minutes, (less if using small ramekins) until the soufflé has risen and the top is golden brown.

Serve at once, it was yummy.


Thanks very much Theresa! This looks delicious, I can't wait to try making it and/or have it made for me :) Theresa doesn't have her own blog, but her mummy blogs for Ripple Farm Organics, you can read their blog here.



1 comment:

  1. This has to be the best post ever! Loved it! I love souflees, so I will totally try to make soon for me and Andrew!

    ReplyDelete